Hello!
We have finally had a couple of days without rain. It rains more here than I could ever have imagined.

Last weekend was a FIRST for all of us, even Frank. We have now been to VERMONT! I am so glad to be here--I am learning so much. Instead of "New England" being a nebulous mass in the northeast corner of the U.S. somewhere, I can tell you all of the SIX states that are included in "New England." They would be Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. (Quiz at the end...)
Friday afternoon, while we drove, it POURED. Yes, the buckets-dumping-on-your-head kind of rain...running from the door to the car was like jumping in a swimming pool kind of wet.

Last weekend was a FIRST for all of us, even Frank. We have now been to VERMONT! I am so glad to be here--I am learning so much. Instead of "New England" being a nebulous mass in the northeast corner of the U.S. somewhere, I can tell you all of the SIX states that are included in "New England." They would be Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. (Quiz at the end...)
Friday afternoon, while we drove, it POURED. Yes, the buckets-dumping-on-your-head kind of rain...running from the door to the car was like jumping in a swimming pool kind of wet.
Then, the weather gave us a break.
JOSEPH SMITH's BIRTHPLACE. We went to this memorial on Friday evening, and the rain let up so we could ride/walk around the grounds and see the foundations of his family's homes from the mid-1800's. (This is David and me, next to one of the home foundations.)

They have a HUGE monument made of granite, 40 tons they had to tra
nsport. (For the very cool story on that, click this word "monument," then scroll down in the article to "Erecting the Joseph Smith Jr. Monument"). They also have a peaceful visitor's center.
nsport. (For the very cool story on that, click this word "monument," then scroll down in the article to "Erecting the Joseph Smith Jr. Monument"). They also have a peaceful visitor's center.GREEN, green, and more green. Absolutely beautiful, so much lush foliage you just couldn't believe it. (It's been raining here for 2 months solid...what did I expect???)
BEN & JERRY's. You can't go to Vermont and miss the Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour, ending of course with free samples! Ben & Jerry, 2 hippie guys
from the 70's, pooled $5 to take a course on making ice cream. They started out giving it away, then people lined up for it, out the door and around the block. It's a fun story.

BEN & JERRY's. You can't go to Vermont and miss the Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour, ending of course with free samples! Ben & Jerry, 2 hippie guys
from the 70's, pooled $5 to take a course on making ice cream. They started out giving it away, then people lined up for it, out the door and around the block. It's a fun story.
(BTW: Unilever bought them out in 2000, and now Ben & Jerry live just a few miles away from the factory. I suppose they struggle daily with how to spend their multi-million-dollar pittance...)
MAPLE TAPPING and CHEESE. We went to a working f
arm, and now we know how they get sap fro
m the trees in the dead of winter. And, it takes 40-50 gallons of maple sap to get ONE gallon of maple syrup. We tasted 4 different varieties of maple syrup, and about 14 different types of cheeses. (Smoked cheese was a family favorite.) Yum!
GRANITE QUARRY. We visited "Rock of Ages," a granite quarry...the video showed us how they drill hundreds of columns, feed explosive lines through those drill holes, and blast, to get a chunk out of the mountain. It's a pretty amazing process.
arm, and now we know how they get sap fro
m the trees in the dead of winter. And, it takes 40-50 gallons of maple sap to get ONE gallon of maple syrup. We tasted 4 different varieties of maple syrup, and about 14 different types of cheeses. (Smoked cheese was a family favorite.) Yum!GRANITE QUARRY. We visited "Rock of Ages," a granite quarry...the video showed us how they drill hundreds of columns, feed explosive lines through those drill holes, and blast, to get a chunk out of the mountain. It's a pretty amazing process.
The old quarry, though, was water-filled and beautiful. QUECHEE GORGE. A nice hike, by a very pretty river. The best view was from the bridge the cars drive on, though, so you're stuck with all the traffic noise in the background.

Here are the kids, posing at the bottom of Quechee Gorge. It rained the day before and the day after, but we made the most of our one sunny day. Now we know more about Vermont!
And, here's the quiz I promised:
And, here's the quiz I promised:
Which SIX states are included in "New England?"
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)


5 comments:
Ummmmm, I need to scroll back up?
I love that you guys discover the cool stuff about your area wherever you are-what a great quality. You are really a "bloom where you're planted" kind of gal. I like that. :)
And I like Ben and Jerry's. And real maple syrup.
I just had a blast catching up on your blog. I always feel like I should be taking notes and just love to learn from your insights. Is it possible that you guys have been gone long enough that I see a difference in your kids' faces? Say it isn't so. Can't wait to see what adventure you go on next!
What a great Vermont trip! I'm glad the weather cooperated....a little anyway? It sounds like the Northeast and Northwest have that "rain" thing in common!
I agree with everyone, you make the most of the places you live in. You too are having rain? The hills are definitley pretty when they are green, but please bring on the sun and hotness!
You know, as a Mainer I never think about Rhode Island and Connecticut as being part of New England. I have never visited Vermont either. I think people do not realize how long it takes to drive here and there because on a map they look close together. Too bad it rained while you were visiting, but it looks like your family still had a great time.
Post a Comment