Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July in Boston

Hola!

The last 2 weeks have been full of activity, but I'll save our Virginia excursion until I have some focus time...we returned from Virginia, and our Arizona relatives (my sister Kim, Duane, and Dallas) flew in the next day, to visit!  So I haven't spent a lot of time viewing photos.  Next week, I'm sure!

Yesterday was the 4th of July...Happy Independence Day everyone!

This was the first time we have been in town, not traveling, on the 4th of July here in Massachusetts.  Each 4th of July, Boston puts on a big, huge, beautiful, amazing show for the 4th.  People do things downtown all day, of course, but in the evening there is a concert in the Park by the Charles River, by the Boston Pops Orchestra.  They have 32 sound towers up and down the river, so even if you're not sitting where you can see the orchestra, you can hear them quite well. (here is an Internet photo from the site I linked, above)


So the orchestra plays (along with some singers and other bands intermittently) for about 2 hours, and it's televised, too, before the fireworks display.

They say that 500,000 people come to listen and watch the fireworks.  Another 7 million people view it on television.

We took the "T" (the train) downtown, and found a spot along the street by the river, to watch.

COOL MOON SHOT.  Frank noticed the moon as we walked.  Isn't this great, the moon between the city buildings of Boston's skyline:

Hot temps and humidity, and ultimately lightning and thunderstorms threatened to delay the show.  But it happened just about on time anyway!  The minute the fireworks started, the raindrops came down.  It rained for about 5 minutes really hard, then stopped.

Here is part of the show...


Here we are, wet, packing up...

More fireworks!

The photos, of course, can't do it justice.  We really liked the show.  Happy Independence Day America!  :)  Kari

1 comments:

Janice said...

LOVE this post. I have heard the fireworks show in Boston is 2nd to none.