Saturday, November 3, 2012

Halloween 2012


Hola!

This week has been a wild one, and we weren't even hit very hard by the megastorm Sandy.  I'll do another post on storm things, maybe, but I did want to count my blessings that even though about half the town lost power and lots of trees and branches came down in that horrifically intense wind, we could hold some "normal" things in our town.  Like Halloween.

SENIORS DRESS UP.  Traditionally at our high school, on Halloween Day the seniors are allowed to wear costumes to school.  They get pretty creative, actually--it's fun that they have a chance to showcase their talents and look silly for the day.

David is a senior this year (I'm still allowing that to sink into my brain...it should take a full year, or 5).  He and a group of friends each dressed up like different characters in the Super Mario game.  It was very fun.  David was "Shy Guy." 


I put a picture of the actual character in the corner so you can see the resemblance.  :)

He even spray-painted his worst pair of sneakers.






Here is me helping him with makeup before seminary, getting all dressed up Halloween morning.

Here is the Mario group, and I can't name all the characters except probably Mario himself, and Luigi, and Princess Peach.

His other friends were Calvin and Hobbes, Zorro and other super heroes, etc.  There were 13 kids who came over.

iTUNES GIFT CARDS.  Kara and a few friends made up their costumes to be iTunes gift cards.  Those gift cards USED to have the bright card with the silhouette dancing.  They dressed in black and put bright cards behind them.

(Apple has since changed the cards, of course!  I thought it was a fun idea.)

OVERLAPPING PARTIES. Kara's friends came over to eat and get costumes ready around 5.  The plan was to leave to trick-or-treat around 6.

David had his friends come over around 6, to socialize and then to go out trick-or-treating in our neighborhood.

TRICK-OR-TREATING PHILOSOPHY.  My philosophy on trick-or-treating has evolved, over time.  I think, if the kids make the effort to dress up and wear actual costumes, I don't mind teenagers trick-or-treating.

The ones I roll my eyes at are the ones who ring the doorbell at 8:45 p.m., when all the little kids have gone home, and there stand 2 teens in regular clothes, holding pillow cases.  Please.

But if they make an effort, no problem.  And most of the neighbors were good sports about it.  One said "You're too tall to trick-or-treat," then they crouched down, and she gave them candy.

Another neighbor looked at the group of 13 teens and asked, "Okay, which one of you is from this neighborhood?" Then David and Princess Peach spoke up.  They all got candy.  Overall, it was a fun evening for them!

More later, love, Kari

Oh, P.S.  Here is when David tried to take OFF the face-paint... The white and black mixed together, and he got this great ZOMBIE effect!  We'll have to use that one another year.

1 comments:

Janice said...

LOVE the costumes.